I love Grandaddy, and ever since they broke up, there has been a small hole in the musical section of my heart. But "Nature Anthem" is one of the most persistent ear worms I've ever encountered. So strong, in fact, that I will have to infect several of you, my dear readers, to be rid of it. >:P
Now, if I can turn serious for a moment...
I've had several uncomfortable incidents in the past few weeks involving some well-meaning fans. I love my readers, and I know they meant no harm, but there were serious implications to what they were doing, and I must address those. I am legally obligated to protect my copyrights, and so I hope no one holds this against me. I've written some Fan Activity Guidelines, which I'll also post here for convenience. Please comment with any concerns or questions.
Fan Activity Guidelines
Kimono’s Townhouse has the best fans. I am constantly surprised by their enthusiasm, and they make me feel loved and special. Even if no one read KT, I’d probably still make this comic for my own entertainment, but having such devoted fans definitely makes it more fun.
I enjoy interacting with KT fans, but occasionally, I run into tough situations. Sometimes, people suggest story ideas to me, which puts me in a very awkward position. Only two outcomes are possible when someone suggests an idea to me. One, I’d already come up with that idea, and they now think I’ve taken their suggestion. Two, I don’t use the idea, and they think I dislike either their ideas or, even worse, dislike them as a person. It’s a lose–lose situation.
I have a legal obligation to protect my copyrights, but I also do not want to discourage well–meant fan activity. I need to be able to say I have not taken someone else’s ideas, neither intentionally nor accidentally. For these reasons, I am providing these Fan Activity Guidelines. Please look over them carefully, and if you have any concerns at all, feel free to contact me.
Disclaimer: No permission is implied or granted for commercial use. No license is granted or implied by these guidelines. Please read our copyright information for commercial site guidelines.
Fan Fiction and Story IdeasI cannot accept story ideas and I have been advised by an attorney not to read Kimono’s Townhouse fiction written by others.
- I do not discourage fans from writing fan fiction. This does not imply permission to do so nor grant a license.
- Please do not attempt to share fan fiction or story ideas with me.
- Any fan fiction must contain a disclaimer that it is not an official Kimono’s Townhouse story and that it is not affiliated with KT in any way.
Fan ArtI love fan art, and I do not discourage fans from creating it. If you have created fan art, please consider sharing it with me, and I may place it in the Gallery Page. However, please do not share art that contains a narrative or story line, as I have been advised by an attorney not to read Kimono’s Townhouse fan fiction. These guidelines do not grant a license.
RoleplayI do not discourage fans from roleplaying as characters from Kimono’s Townhouse. However, I must avoid participation in roleplay, as it exposes me to story ideas from others.
- Do not engage in roleplay in any official Kimono’s Townhouse forum. This includes Minty’s Blog and the Kimono’s Townhouse LiveJournal. Roleplay in these areas causes confusion amongst readers.
- Do not impersonate me (Dava Butler), nor present yourself as part of the Kimono’s Townhouse team.
- Do not attempt to share roleplay stories with me.
Fan SitesI do not discourage fans from creating fan sites, and I am honored that some fans want to do so. I ask that fans who want to create fan sites observe the following guidelines to avoid copyright infringement. No license is granted or implied by these guidelines.
- Please provide a link to this website, http://www.kimonostownhouse.com.
- Do not use the black and white silhouette logo, and do not make the site appear to be part of the official Kimono’s Townhouse website.
- Do not copy the text or images on this site. Copying text or the organization of information is plagiarism.
- Brief passages and images no larger than 260 pixels by 200 pixels may be used in connection with a review. In all cases, a link to the original work must be provided.
- Do not mirror the content of this site. Mirrored content would remove incentive for readers to visit this site, which would cause more harm than benefit to Kimono’s Townhouse.
- Several images are provided for free use by fans. Please consider using any of our link banners or free avatars. Be sure you save these images to your own server.
- Please include a disclaimer statement, such as, “Kimono’s Townhouse is copyright of Dava Butler. This site is not approved by, sponsored by or affiliated with Kimono’s Townhouse.”
- Let us have a look! We might provide a link on our Links Page.
Again, please let me know if you have any concerns or questions. I have to protect my work, but I also want to work with my readers, not against them.
KT Voting Portal